Lionsgate’s epic Hunger Games series, starring Jennifer Lawrence, Stanley Tucci and Donald Sutherland, came to a close with Mockingjay part 2. Millions of fans had followed the dystopian saga closely to this point, but for those that hadn’t the idea of watching four two-hour-plus films to prepare for the finale was a little daunting. For Lionsgate we needed to provide a primer for audiences new to The Hunger Games as well as satisfy the fans’ need for information about the final instalment.
The Sun’s greatest skill is in distilling big, complex stories into fun and accessible content, and we knew that this is what non-fans needed for The Hunger Games. The world of Panem – with its insular language of quarter quells, tributes, and turbulent civil war between the Capitol and the Districts – would be hard for non-fans to immediately delve into. It would take the power of The Sun to make The Hunger Games more accessible.
We created an 8-page ‘souvenir special edition’ in The Sun for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 2. In it we dedicated spaces that could take the reader through a visual journey of the story so far – an ideal primer for non-fans – and a ‘greatest hits’ selection for fans to keep. We followed The Sun’s editorial principles to make the supplement as visually engaging as possible, the content bite-sized and easy to digest, and the tone warm, fun and inclusive.
Some 46 per cent of Sun readers recalled seeing the souvenir supplement – more than 1.72 million people in total. Of these, over 80 per cent said that they liked the supplement; 73 per cent agreed that it sparked their interest in the Hunger Games series.
The souvenir guide encouraged huge engagement with 88 per cent of Sun readers taking action as a result of seeing it and 39 per cent saying they would go and see the film after reading it.
That’s 1.6 million cinema tickets.
Research in numbers
- Total reach: 4.3 million readers
- Awareness of Hunger Games films increased by 25 per cent to 83 per cent overall
- 67 per cent said they would watch a previous Hunger Games film on DVD
- 39 per cent said they would watch The Hunger Games: Mockingjay part 2 at the cinema
- 46 per cent recalled seeing the 8-page supplement; 80 per cent said they really liked it
- 4.3M Readers reached
- 25% Increase in awareness of Hunger Games up to 83% overall
- 39% Said they would go and see the film after reading the supplement That's 1.6 million cinema tickets